Melissa Simonton – [email protected]
Wayne State University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, B.A., English
Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals Training
Areas of Practice
Family Law; Appeals
About Jennifer Schaffner
Jennifer has a diverse legal background that makes her uniquely qualified to tackle some of the more challenging issues in family law. A former large firm transactional lawyer and commercial litigator, Jennifer was drawn to family law in order to have a more immediate, positive impact on clients’ lives, many of whom are facing significant personal challenges and transitions.
With an eye towards the big picture and protecting her client’s future, Jennifer serves her clients in a proactive, compassionate way and has developed expertise in all aspects of domestic relations litigation, including complex divorce, modification of maintenance and support orders, and parental responsibilities cases.
A former staff attorney for the Colorado Court of Appeals, Jennifer has also represented clients in numerous appeals before the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Jennifer believes in finding creative solutions to cases whenever possible, but if going to court is inevitable, she knows how to advocate for her clients’ best interests.
A native of the Midwest, Jennifer graduated with honors from the University of Michigan and received her law degree magna cum laude from Wayne State University School of Law in Detroit, where she served as an assistant editor of The Wayne Law Review, externed for the Honorable Avern Cohn of the Eastern District of Michigan, and worked as a law clerk for Ford Motor Company.
Outside of work, Jennifer and her family enjoy playing tennis and skiing. An accomplished endurance athlete, Jennifer has completed numerous marathons and IRONMAN triathlons.
“The best attorneys are part of the solution rather than part of the problem and strive to leave each client better than they found them.”
Honors & Distinctions
- Order of the Coif (top 10% law school class)
- AVVO “Top Attorney”
Memberships and Community Involvement
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Arapahoe County Bar Association
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee
- Arapahoe County Mock Trial Tournament Coach (2020) and Judge (2018, 2019)
- First and Fifth Judicial District Self-Represented Litigant Clinic Volunteer (2017-2018)
- Extreme Community Makeover Volunteer (2020)
- Successfully appealed termination of client’s maintenance in Court of Appeals case In re Marriage of Thorstad, 434 P.3d 165 (Colo. App. 2019).