Leslie graduated cum laude in 1980 from the University of Colorado, Boulder with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy. In 1984, she received her Juris Doctorate from the University Of Denver Sturm College Of Law and was admitted to the bar in Colorado.
Leslie has participated in numerous legal and leadership trainings, including the Executive Leadership Course at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard in 2008 and the Leadership Program of the Rockies in 2009.
Leslie began her legal career as a deputy district attorney at the Denver District Attorney’s Office. She handled hundreds of criminal cases and conducted dozens of jury trials, including 10 first degree murder trials. In 2005, Leslie became the Assistant District Attorney at the District Attorney’s Office for the 18th Judicial District. Leslie selected and presented cases to the district and county grand juries. She served as the District Attorney’s representative on the Community Corrections Board, and with the Mental Health Court and Drug Court. Leslie has testified before the state legislature on matters relating to sentencing laws and juvenile law and has spoken to community groups about all aspects of criminal law.
In 1992, Leslie left the Denver prosecutor’s office and was a partner in the law firm, Chambers, Dansky & Hansen, P.C. Leslie and her partners developed a litigation firm that specialized in family law, criminal defense, and employment law. She worked with families as a guardian ad litem for children whose parents were divorcing and was regularly appointed to this position by Denver judges with whom she had worked as a prosecutor. She represented domestic violence victims and grandparents seeking custody of their grandchildren. In 2000, Leslie started her own firm, Leslie Hansen, PC. and continued to focus exclusively on family law. Leslie continued her advocacy on behalf of children and families and handled all types of domestic relations cases. In late 2012, Leslie left public service and returned to private practice, again specializing in family law and all types of domestic cases.
Leslie’s background as a prosecutor with extensive litigation experience gives her a unique perspective on family law cases. She knows that it is usually best for couples involved in a dissolution of marriage or a dissolution of a civil union to settle their case by reaching an agreement they can both live with, without resorting to litigation. Whenever possible, couples should decide how to divide their assets and debts and decide what is best for their children as co-parents. But when litigation is necessary, Leslie has the experience and the skill set to prepare for trial and effectively advocate for her clients. Leslie brings the right combination of strength and compassion to the practice of family law.
“A good divorce attorney is a counselor in every sense of the word; providing sound advice, formidable advocacy, and compassionate support.”
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©, 2019-2020, Family Law
- Colorado Super Lawyers – 2019-2020
- Douglas Elbert Bar Association Professionalism Award – 2019
- Excellent Rating on AVVO.
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Douglas County Bar Association
- Board Member, Voices of Victims, 2010-present
- Board Member, Community Corrections Board, 18th Judicial District, 2005-1012
- Member, Center for Legal Inclusiveness, 2010-2012
- Board Member, Roxborough Metropolitan District, 1997-2000
Authorship & Presentations
- Grandparents Rights to Custody & Visitation in Colorado, Feb 19, 2019
- New Detectives Academy, Discovery in Criminal Cases, 2010, 2011
- New Detectives Academy, Grand Jury Process, 2010
- Aurora Police Academy, Search and Seizure and the 4th Amendment, 2010
- Aurora Police Department, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, Elbert County Sheriff’s Office, Littleton Police Department, Greenwood Village Police Department, Englewood Police Department, Parker Police Department, Castle Rock Police Department, Lone Tree Police Department, Elizabeth Police Department, Englewood Police Department, Legislative Update, Criminal Law, 2009, 2010, 2011
- District Attorney Citizen’s Academy, Anatomy of a Trial, 2010, 2011, 2012