Erica Breitenstein – [email protected]
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D.
University of California, Irvine, B.A. Spanish, B.A. Social Ecology
Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© 2006-2024
Colorado Super Lawyer for Family Law, 2006-2023
Area of Practice
Diane Carlton is Special Counsel at Griffiths Law. She has over 40 years of experience dedicated to helping clients and their families move through the difficult process of divorce. Diane is compassionate and works closely with clients to reach a constructive and productive resolution of their case. Diane focuses on achieving settlement wherever possible. She is a skilled trial lawyer as a result of her previous experience as a Colorado deputy public defender, municipal judge and her extensive trial experience in divorce cases.
Diane represents clients from high net worth families and has served as co-counsel in complex divorce cases involving multiple attorneys. She handles divorce cases throughout all of Colorado. Diane has been honored as a Colorado Super Lawyer since 2006 and has also been listed as one of the top 50 women and top 100 lawyers for the Super Lawyers list since 2012. Diane holds a pre-eminent AV-rating, the highest rating available from Martindale-Hubbell rating and has also been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006. With her extensive background, she voluntarily shares her knowledge, presenting at numerous Family Law conferences and her legal services at Metro Volunteer family law clinics. Diane is a member of the Colorado Bar Association, Arapahoe Bar Association, Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals and a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Diane is passionate about helping parties going through divorce resolve their case and move forward to a new and satisfying path in their lives.
In her free time, Diane likes to garden, hike, read voraciously, and spend time with family and friends.
“An amicable divorce resolution promotes healing and closure. It leaves parties in the best place to move forward with their lives.”
Diane did a fantastic job navigating a reasonable divorce settlement with my now ex-husband. The opposing lawyer was very rude and dishonorable and my ex continually tried to avoid turning in financial documents. Diane handled this with perfect equanimity and without a lot of wasteful back and forth. The financial documents finally arrived on Easter Sunday…the day before our court date…nonetheless, Diane was fully ready for trial the very next day. We fought a clean fight just as I had asked to do. We won each point that mattered. She was well-prepared, pleasant to work with and absolutely charged appropriately for the work she did. Best of all, I know if the case got tougher, she had the knowledge and will to bust out some serious legal fire-power. This is not a lawyer that opposing lawyers want to see in court. She’s smart, tough, well-spoken and unerringly moral. The judges know that and they listen.
Former Client – October 2014, AVVO Review
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©, 2006-2024, Family Law
- Colorado Super Lawyer®, 2006 – 2023 and voted top 50 women and top 100 attorney by Super Lawyers.
- Elected as a Fellow to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Top Lawyer in Family Law in Denver, 5280 Magazine, 2016-2019
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Colorado Bar Association: Past Board of Governors, Fellow of the Colorado Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers: Past President Colorado Chapter, National Board of Governors
- Arapahoe Bar Association: Past President, Fellow of the Arapahoe Bar Foundation
- Peo. In Interest of S.E.G., 934 P.2d 920 (Colo. App. 1997)
- Family Law Basic Skills program, Trial Preparation, Presenter, 2001 to 2022
- Family Law Institute-How to Handle Unrepresented Parties in Divorce Cases
- Colorado Bar Association CLE-Direct and Cross Examination and Objections in Family Law; Deposition Strategies that Work
- Lawyers Public Information Foundation-Post Decree Motions Regarding Property
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers-Minnesota chapter-Alternatives to the Maintenance Status Quo