University of Colorado Law School, J.D.
University of Colorado Leeds School of Business, B.S. in Business Administration-Finance
2021 Barrister’s Best Overall Litigator, Editor’s Choice by Law Week Colorado
Top Lawyer in Construction Defect Litigation in Denver, 5280 Magazine, 2022
National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
Area of Practice
Civil Litigation, Complex Family and Financial Asset Cases
Duncan focuses his practice on difficult and complex civil litigation and family law matters. He has significant experience in a variety of fields including construction defect, insurance, real estate and commercial litigation. He also assists with complicated domestic relations matters, and is especially useful in complicated property situations, or when there are concurrent civil lawsuits, receiverships, business torts or partnership dissolutions.
Duncan’s work has led him to represent a wide array of clients who have included individuals, companies, homeowners, business owners, owners’ associations, special districts, commercial building owners, medical centers, warehouses and storage facilities, and marijuana grow businesses. His expertise in most forms of civil and commercial disputes, including claims for breach of contract, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, and nondisclosure, make him a formidable litigator, but he is as well known for his creative solution finding as he is for his prowess in the courtroom. This is especially helpful in domestic relations cases when clients want someone who can litigate – if they have to – but who is adept at finding settlement without litigating. Duncan is a problem solver and is known for his ability to think outside the box, finding solutions where conflict seemed intractable.
Duncan relies on his significant background in business and his experience with expert witnesses when it comes to complex matters. He is adept at quickly understanding each client’s financial situation in order to advise them on the best possible course forward. When it comes to trial, through careful deliberation and preparation, Duncan is able to cross-examine expert witnesses on complicated and nuanced matters, often understanding the substance as well or better than the witnesses themselves. This can often make the difference between success and failure for clients where both parties retain qualified and articulate experts to represent their position.
In having resolved over sixty large cases ranging in value from $50,000 to as much as $13.5 million, Duncan has overall recovered in excess of $50 million in damages for his clients after attorney fees and litigation costs were paid. Duncan’s track record has a significant value for his clients who can have confidence that he will zealously represent their interests and obtain the best possible solution whether through settlement or trial.
Outside of work, Duncan enjoys traveling the world and visiting new places with his wife. Duncan enjoys most activities that Colorado has to offer, but he is especially fond of golf and ice hockey.
“I pride myself on giving everything I have to representing my client and assisting them through difficult times in the interest of reaching the best solution possible.”
Duncan is competent, compassionate, strategic, reputable, no-nonsense, highly skilled and an intelligent expert in handling the most complex issues in difficult parenting and complicated business issues.
Former Client – March 2021, Yelp Review
Duncan agreed to take my case after eight previous rejections. His knowledge, passion, determination, and patience of the law resulted in a most successful journey.
Former Client – January 2021, Google Review
I cannot say enough good words about Duncan. He proactively communicated every step of the way and they showed a genuine interest in myself and my case. I wish I would have hired Griffiths Law from the start.
Former Client – May 2020, Google Review
- 2022 Top Lawyer in Construction Defect Litigation in Denver, 5280 Magazine
- 2021 Barrister’s Best Litigator, Editor’s Choice by Law Week Colorado
- 2021 Barrister’s Best Overall Litigator, Editor’s Choice by Law Week Colorado
- Top Litigator by Law Week Magazine, 2021
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©Ones to Watch, 2021-2022, Commercial Litigation
- Colorado Super Lawyer’s List – Rising Star 2013- 2022
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- Community Associations Institute – Southern Colorado Chapter – Committee Chair of the Year, 2016
- Received a 10 out of 10 rating on AVVO.
- How much is your business worth in a divorce? Colorado Biz Magazine, September 14, 2021
- “Griffiths Law Prevails in Published Court of Appeals Decision – Marriage of Young” griffithslawpc.com, August 6, 2021
- “Can You Sue a Contractor That Has Gone Out of Business?” Super Lawyers Magazine (online), April 16, 2021
- “The Intersection of Family Law and Civil/Commercial Litigation”, Presenter, Family Law Institute Annual Conference, August 2020
- “More Affordable Housing?”, Duncan Griffiths and Tia Zavaras provide legal insight, Denver Business Journal, March, 2018
- The Basics of Insurance Law for Construction Attorneys, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association – Trial Talk Magazine, August/September 2017
- Navigating Insurance By Thinking Like a Lawyer, Common Interests Magazine, Community Association’s Institute, 2016