University of Denver, Juris Doctorate
University of Michigan, M.A., Guidance and Counseling (cum laude)
University of Michigan, B.A., pre-law (cum laude)
2017 Award of Merit, Denver Bar Association
Lifetime Achievement – America’s Top 100 Attorneys
Area of Practice
Sheila Gutterman, co-founder and senior counsel of Griffiths Law PC, is known in the Denver community as an outstanding leader, dedicated to resolution of family disputes and giving back to the community. Sheila’s greatest skill lies in her ability to meet with each client and formulate a plan, in association with the client, as to which process from litigation to collaboration to mediation is best suited to that client’s individual needs. As recognition of her numerous achievements in the legal field and the administration of justice, Sheila just received the Denver Bar Association’s Award of Merit, the highest recognition given by the Denver Bar. Sheila’s expertise ranges from analysis of financial assets, in both large and small estates; evaluation of family dynamics involving children’s rights and responsibilities;
valuations of marital and non-marital holdings; analysis of client’s needs and a focus on the client’s ability to heal and move forward after the divorce. Sheila has chaired the Colorado Bar Association Family Law section and is presently part of the executive committee. She has led task forces on maintenance/alimony and child support and was instrumental in restructuring how family law is practiced in Colorado. She has chaired the Colorado Judicial Institute and continues to be active in maintaining merit based selection of judges in Colorado. Sheila taught the Barbri Bar Review in family law for 19 years and many new attorneys keep her outline on their desks for reference in family law. Sheila has practiced for 30 years and helping clients through the difficult transition of divorce is her passion.
“The break-up of the family is one of our nation’s biggest crises; we must help individuals choose the process that fills each person’s case specific needs.”
Sheila is an amazing attorney! She has a wonderful presence and a powerful execution to receive a fair, positive outcome. She’s the best of the best!
Former Client – April 2021, Google Review
Sheila has helped us navigate the many complications that come along with blended families, family conflicts and custody disputes. Without her assistance, our lives might look very different and our future not as bright.
Former Client – August 2020, Google Review
- Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent Status,1990 to 2021
- 2017 Award of Merit, Denver Bar Association
- Lifetime Achievement – America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- 10 Best in Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016
- Colorado Super Lawyer, 2009 – 2021
- Top 50 Women Colorado Super Lawyers, 2015-2016.
- Top Denver Lawyer in Family Law and Divorce by 5280 Magazine and The Denver Post, 2015
- Athena Award, Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce, 2014.
- Top 100 Lawyers by The National Advocates, 2014; 2015
- 10 Best in Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (AIFLA).
- Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient, Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce, 2012
- Best Family Law Attorney (People’s Choice) by Law Week Colorado, 2010 – 2012
- Best Family Lawyer (People’s Choice) in the Barrister’s Best publication of Law Week Colorado, 2011 – 2012
- Pioneer Award, Colorado Collaborative Law Professionals, 2008
- Outstanding Businesswoman of the Year, Denver Business Journal, 2008
- Entrepreneur of the Year, Women’s Vision Foundation, 2001
- Best of the Bar finalist, Denver Business Journal
- Outstanding Women in Business Finalist, Denver Business Journal, 2006
- “Very Important Person”, Intermountain Jewish News
- Volunteer Lawyer of the Year, Denver Bar Association, 1994
- “Outstanding Woman in Business” award, National Council of Jewish Women
- AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, 1990 – present
- 10 out of 10 rating on AVVO
- BARBRI Bar Review National Lecturer/Video/Outline – Family Law, 1990 – 2009
- Supreme Court Commission on Families and Children in Colorado
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section Past Chair, Secretary, Treasurer
- Colorado Judicial Institute, Planning Committee for the 50th Anniversary Merit Selection celebration, Past Chairperson, Board Member, and Membership Chairperson
- Denver Bar Association 1st Vice President and Budget Director
- American Bar Association Foundation Fellow
- Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors (6 years)
- Colorado Bar Association Foundation Fellow
- Colorado Collaborative Law Professionals (CCLP), Founder and Former Chair
- Academy for Collaborative Practice, Founder and Chair (10+ years’ experience)
- Colorado Domestic Violence Advisory Steering Committee
- Association for Conflict Resolution, Advanced Practitioner (200+ mediated cases)
- Colorado Women’s Bar Foundation Fellow
- Supreme Court Commission on Families and Children in Colorado
- Barrister’s Benefit Ball Chairperson (2 years); Fundraiser – Low Cost Legal Services
- “America, I Gave Myself to You, a tribute to Ruth Bader Ginsburg” Intermountain Jewish News, October 9, 2020.
- “Role of Grandparents During the Pandemic” Intermountain Jewish News, April 17, 2020.
- Founder of Collaborative Law in Colorado: conducted 27 formal workshops on this process including sponsoring national presenters as well as numerous informal educational sessions. 2002 to present.
- Featured in the national ABA Journal publication in honor of her role as the “Mother of Collaborative Law” in Colorado, and her importance in the landscape of Colorado family litigation and alternative dispute resolution as a result.
- Family Law Faculty for “Our Courts,” a joint project between the Colorado Judicial Institute and the Colorado Bar Association.
- Featured in “Model Program Brings Holistic Solutions to Divorce,” American Bar Association(ABA) Journal, February 2015, by G.M. Filisko.
- “Divorce Corp: An Endorsement of the Merit Based Selection of Judges”, Sheila M. Gutterman and Margot F. Alicks Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section Newsletter, Spring 2014
- BARBRI Bar Review National Lecturer/Video/ Outline – Family Law, 1990-2012
- “Our Courts: Family Law” Presentation, Academy of Lifelong Learning, March 2013 to present.
- “Collaborative Law: A New Model for Dispute Resolution”, 2002, a textbook used in Law Schools nationally.
- “Collaborative Family Law – Part II” (Vol. 30 No. 12; pp57-59) The Colorado Lawyer
- “Collaborative Family Law – Part I” (Vol. 30 No. 11:pp57-60) The Colorado Lawyer
- Basic Outline on Family Law in Colorado (ongoing)
- Colorado Continuing Legal Education (ongoing lectures)
- Training workshops in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Minimizing the Emotional Trauma of Divorce (Ongoing Lecture Series)
- The Good Divorce, Channel 9 Relationship Series
- “Jewish Divorce and the Get”, Intermountain Jewish News
- “Wanted: Market Values in Divorce Cases”,Colorado Real Estate Journal
- “Back to Basics: 10 Fundamental Concepts in Family Law”, Workshop and Lecturer
- “In Court and Out of Court Options” in Divorce (ongoing)
- “Divorce Experts”, Colorado Expression, April / May 2009
- “Executive Edge”, ColoradoBiz Magazine, April 2009