President & Shareholder
University of Denver, J.D.
• Phi Beta Kappa
• Order of Ives (top 10% of her class)
Marquette University, B.A., English, History & Economics
Colorado Super Lawyer® “Rising Star”, 2013 – 2018
Area of Practice
About Carolyn Witkus
Carolyn specializes in high conflict and complex asset cases. These include dissipation and separate property claims, as well as trust and oil and gas issues, which she often co-counsels with Suzanne Griffiths. She has extensive experience with relocation issues, post-decree and contempt cases, and cases with immigration or international components. Carolyn has significant trial and negotiation experience, which allows her to leverage her ability to think on her feet and assess situations from all sides, analyze risks, assets and negotiate from a position of strength.
An active member of the Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce and the Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section, Carolyn also serves on the Colorado Judicial Institute Young Professionals Division Leadership Committee. She is the co-author of multiple articles, and lectured for the Family Law Institute, National Business Institute and Metro-Denver Interdisciplinary Committee. Ms. Witkus is also a participant in the Colorado Bar Association Committee on Marijuana Law.
Honors & Distinctions
- GenXYZ – Most Influential Young Professional Top 25 Winner – ColoradoBiz, 2019
- CWBA Raising the Bar Award, 2018
- Colorado Super Lawyer® “Rising Star”, 2013 – 2018
- 10 out of 10 rating on AVVO
Denver Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association – Family Law Section
Colorado Women’s Bar Association
Colorado Judicial Institute
Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce
Women’s Leadership Foundation
Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee
In re Marriage of Roddy, No. 13CA0632, 2014 WL 3747348 (Colo. App. July 31, 2014).
Authorship & Presentations
- “Email Evidence in Divorce Litigation”, Carolyn Witkus and Heather Strack presentation, National Business Institute, August 2018
- “The Most Important Business Deal of Your Life?“, ColoradoBiz, July 2018
- Presented at the Embrace Every Part of Your Financial Life program, Bayaud Enterprises, April 2018
- “Up in Smoke: Marijuana Businesses and Divorce”, Law Week Colorado, April 17, 2017
- “Dividing Debt in Divorce: What Attorneys Need to Know”, Co-Presenter, NBI, March 2017
- “Protection of Assets in Divorces”, Suzanne Griffiths and Carolyn Witkus presentation, National Business Institute, November 23, 2015.
“Valuing Goodwill and the Danger of the Double Dip”, Suzanne Griffiths and Carolyn Witkus presenting, Stout Risius Ross, Fall 2014
“Applying Technology to Settlement, Pretrial and Trial,” Presented by Carolyn Witkus and Heather Broxterman, National Business Institute, Using Technology to Win Your Case, November 21, 2013
Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Domestic Relations Law: Chapter 6 “Relocation Issues in Family Law” and Chapter 12 “Determining When Trusts are Property for the Purpose of Equitable Division”
“How Legal Marijuana Will Affect Troubled Families”, Carolyn Witkus and Alex White, The Christian Science Monitor, March 4, 2013
“Pot and Parenting,” Happenings Q&A Radio Show broadcast, 2013
“Parenting and Pot,” By Alex White and Carolyn Witkus, January 27, 2013, The Denver Post
Feuding Families, Trusts and Divorce, Family Law Institute Presentation, 2012
“10 Tips for Surviving a Divorce in a Downturn,” Suzanne Griffiths and Carolyn Witkus, ColoradoBiz Magazine (Online Version), January 3, 2012
Successful Financial Settlements for Your Divorce Client, Family Law Continuing Legal Education, 2011
Expert Witnesses in Family Law Cases, MDIC Luncheon Presentation, 2009